Welcome Home Peggy Lee Parade 1950

Welcome Home Peggy Lee

Dr. William C. Zwick

Dr,, William C. Zwick was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1908. The family moved to Dickinson, North Dakota soon after his birth and his boyhood was spent in western North Dakota.

After graduation from high school he enrolled at the University of Minnesota and completed the course leading to a degree in Dentistry.

Dr. Zwick married Guida Porter of Belfield, North Dakota. She was the daughter of Thomas and Emma porter, Billings county pioneers.

To the union of William and Guida were born three sons,, Dwight, Grant and Kent. All sons attended the public schools of Valley City and all are graduates of the University of North Dakota.

Dr. Zwick practiced Dentistry at Litchville, North Dakota from 1932 through 1942. He then spent two and one-half years in the United States Army in the Medical Corps.

After his discharge, the family moved to Valley City where he engaged in the practice of Dentistry until his death on August 9, 1958.

Source: Barnes County History 1976 Page 281

Carl Frederick Zaun

Carl Frederick Zaun, the third youngest child of Fred and Emelie Zaun, was born on September 8, 1892. He married Alma Bartz on November 5, 1913. Alma was born August 10, 1895, in Alta Township, the daughter of Fred and Bertha Bartz.

Carl and Alma farmed on his father’s farm fire miles northwest of Valley City until Carl died on July 20, 1918.

Carl and Alma were blessed with three children; Lawrence of New Hope, Minnesota, Gladys Kopp (Mrs. Henry Holkman) of Edina, Minnesota; and Helen (Mrs. Hubert Podenski) of Jamestown, North Dakota. Alma was married again in 1920 to Frank Hilborn. They lived in various areas of North Dakota and Minnesota. After divorcing Frank, she lived in Jamestown, North Dakota for several years, and in 1945, she moved back to Valley City, where she has lived ever since.

Alma and Frank were blessed with eight children:

  1. Vivian (Mrs. Paul Thomas) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania;
  2. Lloyd of Burnsville, Minnesota;
  3. Lola (Mrs. Harry Goulding) of Woodridge, Illinois;
  4. Virgil of Fargo, North Dakota;
  5. Beverly (Mrs. Donald Peterson) of Missoula, Montana;
  6. Frank of Belcourt, Wisconsin;
  7. Russell of Valley City. Another son,
  8. Ray Gordon, was killed at the age of 1½ years.

Frank Zaun

Frank Zaun was born to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Zaun on July 2, 1904. He was born on the home farm south of Valley City and has continued to make his home there.

On June 26, 1930, he was married to Clara Huber, and they took over the farm from Frank’s father. Frank and Clara had five children: Gerald, of Fargo, North Dakota, is Supervising Engineer at Northwestern Bell; Ted, who farms south of the home farm; Mary Ann Armbrust of  Krisann Estates of Fargo, who is teaching dome Economics and Special Education in the South High School; Denis, who is Purchasing Manager at Western Gear Manufacturing Company in Jamestown, North Dakota, and Richard, who is manager of Morton Building Company in Valley City. There are nineteen grandchildren.

Frank and Clara still actively farm on the home farm with the help of Ted and his sons, Michael and Kevin.

Frank Zaun served on the Township, board of Marsh Township for about forty years.

Source: Barnes County History 1976 Page 280

1947 Valley City

1947

A second taxicab company opened in Valley City, with Charles Hill and Sam Thompson as owners.  Three cabs were on 24 hour call.

John Beck purchased the George Karshner Insurance Agency in the Middlewest building.

Thirty four new homes were built in the city as compared to only three such permits in 1945.

John Brandt, president of Land O’ Lakes, said the company was planning a $1,750,000 building program, included an all purpose plant in Valley City.

The city was allotted $40,000 in federal funds, to be match with $20,000 locally, to build an airport administration building.

Three hundred fifty new telephones have been installed in the city area, said I. H. Anderson, NW manager.

The Times Record did not publish January 4 because of the severe blizzard.

W. Atkinson, Devils Lake, representing Travelers’ insurance Company, moved to Valley City.

Carl Katz took over management of City Drug.

Pat Morgan sold his interests in Dakota Press to C. C. Morgan and F. R, Crowe.

The Kindred Hotel was being redecorated, with 48 rooms to be refinished.

C. V. Money resigned as STC athletic director.

Woodrow Gagnon, Fargo, purchased the Royal Café from J. O. Botten and Charlie Howard.

Lloyd Triebold took over management of the California Fruit Store, buying the business from Jake Chulse.

Clayton Thayer sold Spike’s Liquor Place to Wendlin Mattern and Joe Haman, Grand Forks, for a reported $26,000.

Rail and bus transportation came to a standstill in a blinding February 9 storm.

A vocational agriculture department was established at VCHS.

Charles Challey, LaMoure, was to head the department.

For the first time, the Arena and two other buildings were used for the Winter Show, although construction was not complete.

The Co-op Coffee Shop was opened by manager Harvey Aman at West Front.

Nearly 100 city businessmen were guests of GNDA when colored movies of the Garrison project were shown by bill Sebens.

Valley city purchased a new Seagraves fire engine for over $12,000.

Harlow Stillings was feted on the 25th anniversary of service as a rural mail carrier.

The Country Club received free trees from E. C. Hilborn’s nursery for planting along the fairways and tees.

NW Telephone company employees were on picket lines to show strike unity.

The AP called Valley City’s newspaper situation a journalistic crisis as friends of the editor-publisher called him liberal and enemies labeled him as radical.

Dr. Max Moore was nominated as governor of Rotary’s 117th district.

Appointment of Willis Osmon and C. H. Bliss to the STC athletic department was announced.

Andy Risem sold his photography studio to R. Kenneth McFarland.

Don Matchan turned down an offer to sell the Times Record to a group of businessmen.

Everything is “set to go” for baldhill Dam construction, said Mayor Curtis Olson.

The Red Owl Super Market was modernized.  Wayne Drugan was manager.

The Snow White laundry was opened by Monroe Pottorff.

O. S. (Hub) Peterson was elected N. D. funeral Directors’ president.

U. S. engineers called for bids on stage one construction of Baldhill Dam.

Walter A. Jensen was elected president of the N. D. Frozen Locker Association.

Ulman Equipment Company was sold to Farmotors, Inc.

The Times Record was sold by don Matchan to Jerome Bjerke, Milton and James Wick and Owen Scott.

Violet Lutz opened the Gift Shoppe.

The first Lutheran congregation voted to build a new church on the present site.

Halloween pranksters tipped over the eight foot high fountain in City Park.

Valley City’s American Legion post purchased a 42 passenger school bus for use by the public.

An eight foot granite monument was dedicated on Armistice Day observance on city auditorium grounds.  Inscribed were the name of the 80 Barnes County men who died in WW II.

Alden Anderson, owner of Dakota Auto Supply Company, purchased the Peterson Oil Company building on Second Street NW and Second Avenue. The company wholesaled to automotive dealers in the area.

John Halverson, oldest living former postmaster of Valley City, marked his 93rd birthday anniversary.

Dr. Lloyd C, Carlson opened practice of optometry in Middlewest Bank building.

A $250,000 bond issue to remodel the public school building was approved by voters by a 90 percent yes vote.

With installation of electric conveyors, the Bignall Lumber Company was ready to serve customers with a complete line of coal.

Spillway excavation and embankment work was near completion at Baldhill Dam.

Edward McGee, the city’s oldest resident, marked his 99th birthday anniversary.

The new library in the senior high school was dedicated as a memorial to Miss Thelma Torkelson.

At age 24, Walt Jensen was the youngest man to be elected president of the N. D. Frozen food Locker Association.

The council signed a contract with Olaf Wick to construct a 60 x 150 foot swimming pool for about $65,000.

Nearly 5,000 attended the Farmers Merchants Picnic sponsored here by city merchants.

Bernard C. Lyons opened a law office in the Middlewest Bank building.

C. L. Fennel, Minneapolis, purchased Frank’s Café from Frank Oulton.

Ground breaking ceremonies were held at the Baldhill Dam Site August 4.  Machines that would carry up to 20 tons of earth each trip were brought to Baldhill as the $1,600,000 construction project got underway.

Billy Krause won the city croquet championship by defeating Karen Lydell.  Krause also won the juvenile golf title.  Bob King was second.

Mrs. Ruth Hamilton, Fargo, was named manager of Miller’s Ready To Wear store.

Memorial half-dollars, honoring Booker T. Washington, were on sale at the Times Record.

Helen Lorns, Valley City, became director of state examinations in the N. D. Department of Public Instruction.

The State Air Fair and Circus was held in the city August 27 and 5,000 visitors attended.

The Sheyenne Hospital Association dedicated the ground secured from Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Maier.

Frank Oulton purchased Percy Polyhar’s Dry Cleaning establishment.

Mrs. Clara Bechtle was elected president of N. D. County Auditors.

World War II veterans began cashing terminal leave bonds.

Snow White Laundry was sold to Oliver Esby and Edwin Johnson by Monroe Portorffs.

The reconditioned Valley Hotel Bowling Alleys opened.

“We are working hard to translate an ideal into a reality,” said Dr. H. L. Lokken, STC president, in dedicating the site where the proposed $300,000 Sheyenne Hospital is to be constructed.

Oliver Peterson purchased full interest in the Holberg-Peterson Funeral Home, renaming it Oliver’s Chapel.

 

1931 Valley City

1931

Rev. Ployhar took over as county attorney; J. B. Shearer, register of deeds, Arthur Sunde, sheriff: and Ted Hedstrum, deputy sheriff.

Harold Gulbrandson, Kenmare joined The Fair Store, as assistant manager.

Dr. E. B. Crosby and Dr. S. Z. Zimmerman purchased the Valley City clinic building across from the Rudolf.

Howard Wilson of Leal was named chairman of the Barnes County Commissioner.

Attorney H. A. Olsberg was named county judge to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Judge Irgens.

W. W. Fritch and Carl bonde bough the Right Price Store and were to remodel the premises vacant after a disastrous fire.

Clarence Carlson was elected commander of the American Legion.

Cream was received at the new Barnes county cooperative Creamery.

William Posthumas was manager.

Astrid Fjelde, Valley City, was appearing as a member of the Tollefson Trio, singing Scandinavian songs.

The Cobb Company purchased the potato warehouse property on Front Street and established a creamery, poultry, and egg packing plant there. C. M. Hetland was district manager.

John W. Blume was appointed an alderman.

Anthony Fiola closed his fruit and vegetable store on Sixth Avenue to become manager of the Cities Service Station on Sixth Avenue and Front Street.

The world’s first reaper, invented by Cyrus McCormick in 1831 was on exhibit at the Valley City International Company.

John O. Hanchett and L. T. Sprout became partners in a law office.

M. P. Korgh and Paul Sherman opened a clothing store on Main Street.

Ron Holm was transferred from the Montgomery Ward store her to Watertown.

Dr. Glenn Hullet was elected president of the Chautauqua Association.

Irl Carr sold half his interests in the billiard hall to Mike McCarthy, Tower City.

J. H. Sampson opened his new café in the Barnes County Implement Company building.

William Craswell was elected fire chief for the 21st time.

Ben Northridge, Frank Bailey, Clarence Carlson, were elected aldermen.

Edward Norgaard opened Ed’s Fixit Shop under the Middlewest Bank Building.

 

 

 

Judge Alphonso Barnes

Judge Alphonso (Alanson) Barnes-“The Record”, page 2, Vol.1, No. l May 1895
Born Lewis County, N.Y.1817. Red law at office of David Bennett and admitted to bar at 23 Practiced in N.Y. until 1854 when he moved to Delevan, Wis. Appointed “Draft Commissioner” by Lincoln and filled levees for Civil War. Appointed associate Chief Justice of Dakota Territory by President Grant April 1873 with headquarters in Yankton, 2nd Judicial District. After and as a result of a dispute over the railroad and bond situation maneuvering by Gov. Burbank, he was re-assigned to the 3rd. Judicial District with headquarters in Pembina by Whitney, Territorial Secretary in the absence of Burbank. His letters and personal appearance in Washington against the administration of Burbank caused Burbank’s resignation. He was reappointed Associate Justice by President Hayes in 1877 and was succeeded by Judge Hudson in l88l. Was a delegate to the Fargo convention for Division in 1882. After the Burbank episode, the Territorial Legislature re-named Burbank County on July 14, 1874 to Barnes County In his honor Burbank had named the county after his name when created on January 4, 1873.

Barnes County “The Record” page 29, Vol.1, No. l May 1895
County Named after Judge Alphonso (Alanson) Barnes, Associate Justice of Dakota Territory by Territorial Legislature on July 14, 1874
County first named Burbank after the then Governor of Dakota Territory, John A. Burbank, a political appointee of President Grant. Burbank, maneuvering to make a fortune thru railroad promotion and the sale of land and bonds, threatened Judge Barnes with banishment to Pembina if he did not rule on the legality of his actions. Barnes refused and sent information to Washington regarding Burbank’s schemes. The Territorial surveyor corroborated his reports and Burbank was forced to resign. Barnes in the mean time had been banished to the 3rd. Judicial District at Pembina by Burbank’s henchman, the Territorial Secretary, Whitney, while Burbank was in Washington to plead his case. Territorial Legislature then re-named Burbank County to Barnes County in his honor, after Burbank had resigned.