1946
The VFW Club opened in the Rudolf Hotel. Tyler Hoiland was commander.
Dan Smith returned to duties as state highway department engineer after 22 months in the Seabees.
Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Mythaler presented a gift to the STC laboratory school to purchase books. It was given in memory of their son, David, killed in WW II.
Land O’Lakes announced it would expand its Valley City plant for egg, feed and poultry departments.
Jack Kerner, S & L manager was transferred to Fargo.
Sale of stock in the Grotte Lumber Company and leasing of the facilities to Jake P. Smith, Jamestown, was announced.
Fred Abrahamson opened a barber shop on Main Street.
Jaycees picked William Paulson as outstanding young man.
Lawrence Meldahl was elected Civic Club president.
Municipal Utilities showed a net profit of nearly $45,000.
The courts upheld a city ordinance that forbade sale of beer in basements.
Fifteen family housing units were assigned to STC.
Senator Young was instrumental in securing a priority order to permit STC East Hall construction to continue.
The city council requested funds for development of the Baldhill reservoir. The city was to furnish $208,000 along with other communities in the flood area and there would be $800,000 in federal funds.
George Hanna, Valley City school superintendent 27 years, announced retirement.
C. N. McGillivray announced sale of City Drug to William E. Brown, Jamestown.
A trainload of 150 were brought to the city after spending a night and day in a stalled Pullman section at Peak February 8 and 9.
The Times Record was selected to print the new telephone directory to which a new classified section was added. New typefaces were purchased for the project.
J. J. Schmitz retired from the hardware business, selling the store to George Fogarty.
Gerry Sparrow defended the Times Record policy by stating that all names were listed in court reports.
Over six tons of old clothing gathered in a Victory Drive were shipped from Valley City.
A school bond issue of $356,000 failed to get a two thirds majority by 19 votes.
Roy Sheppard bought an interest in Valley Appliance and became manager of the Ben Pfusch business.
Father J. G. Sailer, who had served St. Catherine’s when the church was built in 1905, died in Hankinson.
Olson Bros, Argusville, were the first to bring stock to the 1946 Winter Show. Although roads were blocked in many sections, the Winter Show Futurity was acclaimed. About one third of the farmers entered were unable to travel here. KSTP radio stars were entertainers at the show. A record $3,000 was paid for a Hereford female. Total sales were $60,000.
James W. Nielson sold his abstract business to BC Abstract, T. S. Henry, president.
Nearly 300 veterans were at the Homecoming Banquet sponsored by the American Legion.
Donald spenningsby was the first to get a private flying license from the Les Elliot Bob Miller School.
Thor and J. P. Baarstad, twins, marked 85th birthdays.
Ronald Maier purchased a hangar at the airport from Dean Kiser and operated a plane service station.
Vernon Krogh opened Club 21.
The Getchell printing shop was sold to three Minnesota men.
Dr. Merle S. Ward was appointed Valley City school superintendent. He had been principal here 1920-1932.
Alderman John Skretting resigned at the age of 82. He had first served on the council in 1897.
Dr. Eugene H. Kleinpell, STC president since 1942 resigned.
Valley City’s largest housing project to date, costing $94,000 was constructed at the corner of Front and Elm Streets and would house 17 families.
Thomas C. Hutchinson, Civic Club secretary, resigned after three years of service.
Voters rejected a bond issue for a new school for the second time.
John Carlisle purchased the J. Gordon McCucheon Texaco distributorship.
Dr. Paul Cook won the Barnes County golf tournament against 39 golfers.
The Penney’s store, John Yepson, manager added basement departments.
Charles Rudolph, Jamestown purchased Raveling Service Station.
Dr. R. L. Lokken was named STC president.
George W. Mason, city native was president of the Automobile Manufacturers Association.
Funds for a municipal swimming pool were approved by voters.
An iron lung was purchased with subscribed funds and $1,600 from the Eagles.
Milton Diamond announced he would open a furniture store in the City.
Mary Long had infantile paralysis, a student of STC. She was transferred to Fargo for Sister Kenney treatment.
S. T. Sorenson took over management of the Rudolf Café.
Carl Manstom was elected president of the newly formed Sheyenne Hospital Association.
The Zero Locker Plant was opened by Frank Luessen and Walter Jensen.
William S. Stutsman, Dickinson was named civic club secretary.
Henry Langemo began operation of a service station near Rudolf Hotel.
Closed three weeks for redecoration, the Rex Theatre opened with “Danny Boy.”
An Army Navy Store was opened in the Simonson block by Milton Diamond.
Rudy Kent opened a photographic studio on Main Street.
Stanley Miller opened a grocery store in a new building near City Park.
Nearly 100 nurses registered here for the convention of the N. D. Nurses Association.
Expansion plans were announced for Valley manufacturing Company, maker of plastic items.
Dakota Fiber Company leased a city building for planned operations.
Ole the Hermit confessed he had more wood carving work than he could handle.
A Culligan Water Service opened in the city.
The Wilberg packer drill, invented in 1904 by Henry Wilbert, now of Valley City was becoming world famous.
The city was to have a new bus depot and hotel, Mac McGibbon, Kindred proprietor for the Char-Mac announced building plans.
Additional buildings were readied for the 1947 Winter Show.
George Craven was S & L manager, succeeding Harley Dahl, who was transferred to Minot.
Jake Smith became the owner of Smith Lumber.

Advertisements