Valley City Drum and Bugle Corps

The American Legion Post No. 60 Drum and Bugle corps was fist organized in 1927 with Glen Levitt in charge.  It was officially sponsored by the Valley city Voiture of 40 and 8.

The first official appearance was at the funeral of Alfred J. Henry, a Grand Army of the Republic member and father of Post commander T. S. Henry on September 3, 1927.

Deactivated with the advent of World War Two, it was reactivated in 1947 under the direction of Adrian H. Pfusch, the only World War member and the Drum Major of the original Corps.  Under his able direction the group improved in quality and style and was designated the official musical organization of the North Dakota 40 and 8, as well as the official musical organization of the City of Valley City, which entitled them to some financial support from the city.  This enabled the Corps to purchase new uniforms and instruments.  The Corps had been self-supporting up to this time.

The Corps attended four National American Legion Conventions; Minneapolis, Mn in 1959, Miami Beach, Florida in 1961; Dallas Texas in 1964 and Atlanta, Georgia in 1969 ably representing North Dakota and Barnes County in each case.

The Corps was deactivated in 1970.

Advertisements