1945
Ernest Fritch asked for help in disposing of a big onion crop. He had 2,000 pounds of Bermudas.
The city was number one in North Dakota fire prevention for a 14th consecutive year.
A blaze was discovered near the top of Occident elevator and controlled with minor damage.
Mary Carlton of the police department urged restricting beer parlors to street level quarters.
A new library for STC was rejected by the state board.
A new floor was poured in the Piller building occupied by North American Creameries ice cream store.
City restaurant owners feared closing unless ration points were adjusted.
The Strong-Ward café was purchased by John Smith, formerly of Rogers.
I.H. Anderson was elected civic club president.
A “meatless “day was designated at restaurants here.
Ernest Vogel opened Ernie’s Café in the Carlson Bros. building.
A midnight curfew was imposed for an all bars and dance halls.
The Mercy Hospital benefit drive netted over $13,000.
The office of Defense Transportation approved a livestock sale in lieu of the Winter Show here.
The Lucca 78 voice choir performed in a city concert.
“Winter Show Weather” and the livestock sale brightened outlook for the 1946 show.
VCHS defeated Jamestown, Bismarck, and Minot to take the North Dakota basketball title. Al Larvick was the coach. The state title was the first in 16 years.
It was expected that 10,000 out of state laborers would come for harvest work.
The STC V-12 program was absorbed by a naval reserve group.
Army engineers conducted a meeting here on the proposed Baldhill Dam.
The new Ben Franklin store had a grand opening. W. M. Stratman was the owner.
Harry Truman became president.
The city opened a three day “war on rats” by placing poison bait.
Meldahl’s Firestone Store had a grand re opening after expansion.
Chairman Herman Stern asked for “a barrage of advertising” to back the seventh War Loan. A discussion and display of post war products attracted a large city crowd.
Germany surrendered unconditionally and May 8 was observed a V-E Day.
Dr. W. C. Zwick, formerly of Litchville, opened a dentist’s office here.
T. X. Calnan, dean of county agents in agriculture, died at 57.
The Rudolf Hotel, under one ownership for 38 years was sold by the Giselius family to O. W. Fode, Jamestown.
N. W. Nielson asked that 5th Avenue be made a through street.
Al Larvick was named supervisor for a coordinated recreation effort in the city. STC Athletic Director C. V. Money said parent cooperation would be needed.
Plans were announced by G. A. Forthun-Steidel, to open a plastic plant on Main Street. He said 12,000 pencils would be made daily.
A grocer-consumer anti-inflation campaign opened in the city.
Interest was shown in a plan for veterans to re-locate in Valley City. Arnold Sandness was chairman of a war veterans committee.
Grand opening of the Farm and Home store was sponsored. Erve Schmidt was manager, Mike conlon, and assistant, of the Coghlan-Schmidt firm.
Bob “Rusty” Miller opened his bakery in a new location on Fifth Avenue.
Valley City pointed the way with contributions to build a $75,000 Wilderness Camp for Boy Scouts.
Ben Pfusch was named governor of the National Electric Retail Association Region 9.
Gerrie Sparrow joined the Times Record Staff.
R. O. Miller told of growth of the bread slicer he had invented to an extent where 100,000 were sold.
The Kindred building was purchased by Straus. A new structure was planned.
The Eagles opened their new ballroom.
4-H King Dick Hansen reigned at the Corn and Lamb Show.
Work on Baldhill Dam was to start early in 1946.
A three day 4-H show opened in the city.
Thilda and Lena Vangstad, STC faculty members, learned that twins make news.
The American Legion announced plans for a $60,000 hall.
The 164th Infantry marked the third anniversary of Guadalcanal landing.
A charter was presented to the new Lions club October 23, 1945. Casper Brainard was the first president.
The city council ruled that basement beer parlors would be forbidden after December 31, 1945.
Riverside Grocery and O. T.. Sando’s Grocery opened in the city.
Don Matchan headed a state Missouri Valley Authority group.
The F. W. Matz building was sold to George Toring for $5,500. A new structure was planned.
An upsurge in flying interest was seen by Les Elliott after a hangar was built at the city airport.
Enrollment of 64 seamen increased STC to 533.
O’Dell Amundson was assigned to foreign duty for the Red Cross.
Valley City Cold Storage, operated by C. M. Hetland had grown steadily in its first year. Addition of 1,000 locker units was planned.
John D. Haverstock bought controlling interest in Valley Motor Implement Company.
Extensive improvements were planned by the new owners of Rudolf Hotel.
Russell Widdifield was named county agent to take over work after T. X. Calnan’s death.
A series of benefit dances for war veterans were stage at Tait’s barn.
Russ Bignall opened a lumber business in the city.
FHA representative C. A. Jenkins said the city’s expansion possibilities were the greatest in the state.
M. K. Ulmen built a Case equipment plant on Main Street near Harrington livestock yard.
The city council discussed means of financing a swimming pool.
Japan surrendered unconditionally August 14, 1945.
Coghlan-Schmidt announced opening of a new hardware store on Main Street.
Valley City sponsored a V_J parade with V-12 trainees at STC in the lead. V-j night in the city was one of wild joy, but no rowdyism.
A bid of $204,268 for airport work was low. The offer was by McGarry Bros., St. Cloud, Minnesota.
There were 185 job opportunities in Valley City.
A farmers-merchants picnic was held in the city in September.
A wildlife chapter was organized at a meeting at the K P hall.
D. S. Ritchie was elected chairman of a North Dakota Wildlife Federation.
Dr. G. Christianson, Sharon, joined Dr. Paul Cook in practice.
Howard Brier, Devils Lake, purchased the Rudolf Hotel.
The Winter show group purchased the Chautauqua building which was to be moved to Winter show property, 2 nd street NE. It was to serve the purpose of the new Winter Show building.
Daily milk deliveries in the city would be inaugurated, said Roy Bryngelson, Barnes County cooperative Creamery manager.
The Rev. Thomas Nugent and his wife were feted on the 25th anniversary of his Congregational Church pastorate.