Posts tagged ‘1947’

1947 Valley City

1947

A second taxicab company opened in Valley City, with Charles Hill and Sam Thompson as owners.  Three cabs were on 24 hour call.

John Beck purchased the George Karshner Insurance Agency in the Middlewest building.

Thirty four new homes were built in the city as compared to only three such permits in 1945.

John Brandt, president of Land O’ Lakes, said the company was planning a $1,750,000 building program, included an all purpose plant in Valley City.

The city was allotted $40,000 in federal funds, to be match with $20,000 locally, to build an airport administration building.

Three hundred fifty new telephones have been installed in the city area, said I. H. Anderson, NW manager.

The Times Record did not publish January 4 because of the severe blizzard.

W. Atkinson, Devils Lake, representing Travelers’ insurance Company, moved to Valley City.

Carl Katz took over management of City Drug.

Pat Morgan sold his interests in Dakota Press to C. C. Morgan and F. R, Crowe.

The Kindred Hotel was being redecorated, with 48 rooms to be refinished.

C. V. Money resigned as STC athletic director.

Woodrow Gagnon, Fargo, purchased the Royal Café from J. O. Botten and Charlie Howard.

Lloyd Triebold took over management of the California Fruit Store, buying the business from Jake Chulse.

Clayton Thayer sold Spike’s Liquor Place to Wendlin Mattern and Joe Haman, Grand Forks, for a reported $26,000.

Rail and bus transportation came to a standstill in a blinding February 9 storm.

A vocational agriculture department was established at VCHS.

Charles Challey, LaMoure, was to head the department.

For the first time, the Arena and two other buildings were used for the Winter Show, although construction was not complete.

The Co-op Coffee Shop was opened by manager Harvey Aman at West Front.

Nearly 100 city businessmen were guests of GNDA when colored movies of the Garrison project were shown by bill Sebens.

Valley city purchased a new Seagraves fire engine for over $12,000.

Harlow Stillings was feted on the 25th anniversary of service as a rural mail carrier.

The Country Club received free trees from E. C. Hilborn’s nursery for planting along the fairways and tees.

NW Telephone company employees were on picket lines to show strike unity.

The AP called Valley City’s newspaper situation a journalistic crisis as friends of the editor-publisher called him liberal and enemies labeled him as radical.

Dr. Max Moore was nominated as governor of Rotary’s 117th district.

Appointment of Willis Osmon and C. H. Bliss to the STC athletic department was announced.

Andy Risem sold his photography studio to R. Kenneth McFarland.

Don Matchan turned down an offer to sell the Times Record to a group of businessmen.

Everything is “set to go” for baldhill Dam construction, said Mayor Curtis Olson.

The Red Owl Super Market was modernized.  Wayne Drugan was manager.

The Snow White laundry was opened by Monroe Pottorff.

O. S. (Hub) Peterson was elected N. D. funeral Directors’ president.

U. S. engineers called for bids on stage one construction of Baldhill Dam.

Walter A. Jensen was elected president of the N. D. Frozen Locker Association.

Ulman Equipment Company was sold to Farmotors, Inc.

The Times Record was sold by don Matchan to Jerome Bjerke, Milton and James Wick and Owen Scott.

Violet Lutz opened the Gift Shoppe.

The first Lutheran congregation voted to build a new church on the present site.

Halloween pranksters tipped over the eight foot high fountain in City Park.

Valley City’s American Legion post purchased a 42 passenger school bus for use by the public.

An eight foot granite monument was dedicated on Armistice Day observance on city auditorium grounds.  Inscribed were the name of the 80 Barnes County men who died in WW II.

Alden Anderson, owner of Dakota Auto Supply Company, purchased the Peterson Oil Company building on Second Street NW and Second Avenue. The company wholesaled to automotive dealers in the area.

John Halverson, oldest living former postmaster of Valley City, marked his 93rd birthday anniversary.

Dr. Lloyd C, Carlson opened practice of optometry in Middlewest Bank building.

A $250,000 bond issue to remodel the public school building was approved by voters by a 90 percent yes vote.

With installation of electric conveyors, the Bignall Lumber Company was ready to serve customers with a complete line of coal.

Spillway excavation and embankment work was near completion at Baldhill Dam.

Edward McGee, the city’s oldest resident, marked his 99th birthday anniversary.

The new library in the senior high school was dedicated as a memorial to Miss Thelma Torkelson.

At age 24, Walt Jensen was the youngest man to be elected president of the N. D. Frozen food Locker Association.

The council signed a contract with Olaf Wick to construct a 60 x 150 foot swimming pool for about $65,000.

Nearly 5,000 attended the Farmers Merchants Picnic sponsored here by city merchants.

Bernard C. Lyons opened a law office in the Middlewest Bank building.

C. L. Fennel, Minneapolis, purchased Frank’s Café from Frank Oulton.

Ground breaking ceremonies were held at the Baldhill Dam Site August 4.  Machines that would carry up to 20 tons of earth each trip were brought to Baldhill as the $1,600,000 construction project got underway.

Billy Krause won the city croquet championship by defeating Karen Lydell.  Krause also won the juvenile golf title.  Bob King was second.

Mrs. Ruth Hamilton, Fargo, was named manager of Miller’s Ready To Wear store.

Memorial half-dollars, honoring Booker T. Washington, were on sale at the Times Record.

Helen Lorns, Valley City, became director of state examinations in the N. D. Department of Public Instruction.

The State Air Fair and Circus was held in the city August 27 and 5,000 visitors attended.

The Sheyenne Hospital Association dedicated the ground secured from Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Maier.

Frank Oulton purchased Percy Polyhar’s Dry Cleaning establishment.

Mrs. Clara Bechtle was elected president of N. D. County Auditors.

World War II veterans began cashing terminal leave bonds.

Snow White Laundry was sold to Oliver Esby and Edwin Johnson by Monroe Portorffs.

The reconditioned Valley Hotel Bowling Alleys opened.

“We are working hard to translate an ideal into a reality,” said Dr. H. L. Lokken, STC president, in dedicating the site where the proposed $300,000 Sheyenne Hospital is to be constructed.

Oliver Peterson purchased full interest in the Holberg-Peterson Funeral Home, renaming it Oliver’s Chapel.

 

Advertisements

1947

1947
A second taxicab company opened in Valley City, with Charles Hill and Sam Thompson as owners. Three cabs were on 24 hour call.
John Beck purchased the George Karshner Insurance Agency in the Middlewest building.
Thirty four new homes were built in the city as compared to only three such permits in 1945.
John Brandt, president of Land O’ Lakes, said the company was planning a $1,750,000 building program, included an all purpose plant in Valley City.
The city was allotted $40,000 in federal funds, to be match with $20,000 locally, to build an airport administration building.
Three hundred fifty new telephones have been installed in the city area, said I. H. Anderson, NW manager.
The Times Record did not publish January 4 because of the severe blizzard.
W. Atkinson, Devils Lake, representing Travelers’ insurance Company, moved to Valley City.
Carl Katz took over management of City Drug.
Pat Morgan sold his interests in Dakota Press to C. C. Morgan and F. R, Crowe.
The Kindred Hotel was being redecorated, with 48 rooms to be refinished.
C. V. Money resigned as STC athletic director.
Woodrow Gagnon, Fargo, purchased the Royal Café from J. O. Botten and Charlie Howard.
Lloyd Triebold took over management of the California Fruit Store, buying the business from Jake Chulse.
Clayton Thayer sold Spike’s Liquor Place to Wendlin Mattern and Joe Haman, Grand Forks, for a reported $26,000.
Rail and bus transportation came to a standstill in a blinding February 9 storm.
A vocational agriculture department was established at VCHS.
Charles Challey, LaMoure, was to head the department.
For the first time, the Arena and two other buildings were used for the Winter Show, although construction was not complete.
The Co-op Coffee Shop was opened by manager Harvey Aman at West Front.
Nearly 100 city businessmen were guests of GNDA when colored movies of the Garrison project were shown by bill Sebens.
Valley city purchased a new Seagraves fire engine for over $12,000.
Harlow Stillings was feted on the 25th anniversary of service as a rural mail carrier.
The Country Club received free trees from E. C. Hilborn’s nursery for planting along the fairways and tees.
NW Telephone company employees were on picket lines to show strike unity.
The AP called Valley City’s newspaper situation a journalistic crisis as friends of the editor-publisher called him liberal and enemies labeled him as radical.
Dr. Max Moore was nominated as governor of Rotary’s 117th district.
Appointment of Willis Osmon and C. H. Bliss to the STC athletic department was announced.
Andy Risem sold his photography studio to R. Kenneth McFarland.
Don Matchan turned down an offer to sell the Times Record to a group of businessmen.
Everything is “set to go” for baldhill Dam construction, said Mayor Curtis Olson.
The Red Owl Super Market was modernized. Wayne Drugan was manager.
The Snow White laundry was opened by Monroe Pottorff.
O. S. (Hub) Peterson was elected N. D. funeral Directors’ president.
U. S. engineers called for bids on stage one construction of Baldhill Dam.
Walter A. Jensen was elected president of the N. D. Frozen Locker Association.
Ulman Equipment Company was sold to Farmotors, Inc.
The Times Record was sold by don Matchan to Jerome Bjerke, Milton and James Wick and Owen Scott.
Violet Lutz opened the Gift Shoppe.
The first Lutheran congregation voted to build a new church on the present site.
Halloween pranksters tipped over the eight foot high fountain in City Park.
Valley City’s American Legion post purchased a 42 passenger school bus for use by the public.
An eight foot granite monument was dedicated on Armistice Day observance on city auditorium grounds. Inscribed were the name of the 80 Barnes County men who died in WW II.
Alden Anderson, owner of Dakota Auto Supply Company, purchased the Peterson Oil Company building on Second Street NW and Second Avenue. The company wholesaled to automotive dealers in the area.
John Halverson, oldest living former postmaster of Valley City, marked his 93rd birthday anniversary.
Dr. Lloyd C, Carlson opened practice of optometry in Middlewest Bank building.
A $250,000 bond issue to remodel the public school building was approved by voters by a 90 percent yes vote.
With installation of electric conveyors, the Bignall Lumber Company was ready to serve customers with a complete line of coal.
Spillway excavation and embankment work was near completion at Baldhill Dam.
Edward McGee, the city’s oldest resident, marked his 99th birthday anniversary.
The new library in the senior high school was dedicated as a memorial to Miss Thelma Torkelson.
At age 24, Walt Jensen was the youngest man to be elected president of the N. D. Frozen food Locker Association.
The council signed a contract with Olaf Wick to construct a 60 x 150 foot swimming pool for about $65,000.
Nearly 5,000 attended the Farmers Merchants Picnic sponsored here by city merchants.
Bernard C. Lyons opened a law office in the Middlewest Bank building.
C. L. Fennel, Minneapolis, purchased Frank’s Café from Frank Oulton.
Ground breaking ceremonies were held at the Baldhill Dam Site August 4. Machines that would carry up to 20 tons of earth each trip were brought to Baldhill as the $1,600,000 construction project got underway.
Billy Krause won the city croquet championship by defeating Karen Lydell. Krause also won the juvenile golf title. Bob King was second.
Mrs. Ruth Hamilton, Fargo, was named manager of Miller’s Ready To Wear store.
Memorial half-dollars, honoring Booker T. Washington, were on sale at the Times Record.
Helen Lorns, Valley City, became director of state examinations in the N. D. Department of Public Instruction.
The State Air Fair and Circus was held in the city August 27 and 5,000 visitors attended.
The Sheyenne Hospital Association dedicated the ground secured from Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Maier.
Frank Oulton purchased Percy Polyhar’s Dry Cleaning establishment.
Mrs. Clara Bechtle was elected president of N. D. County Auditors.
World War II veterans began cashing terminal leave bonds.
Snow White Laundry was sold to Oliver Esby and Edwin Johnson by Monroe Portorffs.
The reconditioned Valley Hotel Bowling Alleys opened.
“We are working hard to translate an ideal into a reality,” said Dr. H. L. Lokken, STC president, in dedicating the site where the proposed $300,000 Sheyenne Hospital is to be constructed.
Oliver Peterson purchased full interest in the Holberg-Peterson Funeral Home, renaming